Do you spend too much time on email?Are you looking for a system that academics can use to manage email?在这篇博文中，I describe a system that will allow you to take control of your email.
电子邮件是一种与世界各地的人交流的神奇方式。但是，它也可以是一个时间接收器。Academics usually have to spend a lot of time on email.This amount of time tends to increase over the course of your career as you accumulate more students,colleagues,出版物，and service.
A couple of years ago,I searched around for a system that would allow me to manage my email more effectively.我的收件箱里有成千上万封邮件，and felt that my email was getting out of control.I found this postby Leo Babauta immensely helpful.下面我描述的步骤基于这种方法，但专为学者量身定做。
如果您的电子邮件收件箱溢出，here are three steps you can take to gain control of it.
- Create three folders: 1) Temporary;2）档案；and 3) Action.
- 将所有超过30天的电子邮件放在暂时性的文件夹。你以后再处理这些问题，at your leisure.
- Start at the top of your inbox and make a decision about each email in your inbox.如果你需要做一些事情来回复邮件，把它放在Action"文件夹。If not,它进入“Archive."“
如果你有空余时间，您可以返回到“暂时性的folder and attend to any important emails in there.However,如果一个月过去了，你可能不需要回应他们。而且，如果你确实需要回应，你可能会得到一个关于你需要做什么的提醒。
如果你使用的是大学的电子邮件系统，而且空间不足，一个想法是创建一个Gmail帐户，并将发送给您的每封电子邮件的副本发送给您的Gmail帐户。That way,you have a record of every email you receive in an easily-searchable database.如果你这样做，你可以从大学帐户中删除电子邮件，而不是将其存档，因为它们可以自动存档到你的gmail地址。
只将项目放入您的“Action"实际需要您执行某些操作的文件夹。假设你收到一封电子邮件，提醒你一件事。If that event is not yet on your calendar,you can put it in"Action"until it's on your calendar.一旦你的日历上有了它，it is no longer an"Action"项目。现在，it is on your calendar – which is a much better reminder system than your"Action"文件夹。
一旦你有了一个好人，干净，空的，禅宗收件箱，it's time for you to implement a system to deal with email on a daily basis.
How to Manage Your Email on a Daily Basis
- Don't check email first thing in the morning.避免电子邮件变成时间接收器的最好方法之一是先做其他重要的事情。
- Respond immediately: Emails that require a quick response"Yes,I can review that article."或“No,我不能参加委员会会议。”如果不到一分钟就做出反应，回复电子邮件。Then,存档电子邮件。
- 行动项目: These are items that require a bit more effort.也许你得检查一下你的时间表，看看下学期什么时候可以演讲。不过，这可能需要一些计划。将这些电子邮件放入您的操作文件夹。
- 档案文件: These are emails with information that may or may not be important.If it's interesting or relevant,阅读电子邮件。If not,archive it.
- 其它文件夹理想情况下，我只有这三类。However,I also have two other folders that are more or less useful.我是一个主要委员会的主席，and find it easier to place all emails related to that committee into one folder named"Committee."I also frequently receive news articles and updates related to immigration that I want to read.I place these in a folder called"To read."我还没有真正读过它们，但有了那个文件夹我感觉好多了。
- Quit your email.一旦你处理了晚上收到的所有邮件，and responded to the most pressing ones,quit your email program and focus on something else you need to do,like prep class or bepaly安卓客户端write that grant proposal.It is not a good idea to have your email on all the time as it is distracting.
- Check your email periodically during the day (fewer times is better).至少留出一次时间作为你处理行动项目的时间。You see,the action folder will work a lot better if you know for sure that you are going to do your action items at some point during the day.
- At the end of the week,确保收件箱和操作框为空。Your inbox definitely should be empty.理想的，your action box will be empty too.However,I often let emails sit in their for a while because I am making a decision about something or have yet to bepaly安卓客户端write that letter of recommendation.
I recognize this system is not perfect,但总比没有系统好！那你呢？你如何组织你的电子邮件？？